We have our Pioneer Museum open to the public on Friday and Saturday during May through September, except July 4th.. Check on Hours page for times.
Other times are available by appointment.
It is located inside the Pioneer Plaza
(shown below) on east Vine Street.
We have many pioneer artifacts, pictures, and histories in our museum.
This building is the most outstanding landmak of pioneer days still remaining in Tooele City.
The building which today houses the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum was completed in 1867, and is listed on the State Historical Register. It was at that time the 'Old Pioneer City Hall' and it's purpose was to serve as a general amusement hall, to house city and county records and accommodate the general public for practically all public gatherings and activities. This was the first public building erected in Tooele County.
The building is constructed of stone brought from Settlement Canyon at the base of One O'Clock Mountain. In the days when the building was being constructed, there was no heavy equipment to haul the stone to Tooele. This was accomplished by hard work and hauled on flatbeds pulled by teams of horses.
(History of Tooele County, vol. 1-p.203)
Active in construction were James Hammond, William Broad, Isaac Lee, W.C.Gollaher, John Gillespie, George Atkin, George W. Bryan and John Gordon. The building was used for a courthouse, city hall, jail and amusement center until 1941, when the new city hall on North Nain Street in Tooele was completed. It was then turned over to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers for a meeting place and amusement hall, later being turned into a museum.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum
and Log Cabin
39 East Vine Street in Tooele, Utah
in the Pioneer Plaza
Click to see inside of museum
One of the first log cabins in Tooele
was donated by Barbara Gowans Bowen to the Daughters. It was moved from the Bowen property to the grounds of the old Tooele County Court House by the American Legion on September 19, 1932, and dedicated July 24, 1933. It has since been moved to be on the grounds next to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum in the Pioneer Plaza on east Vine Street.